Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Ninety-seven


Day 297 - Long Term Effects
I had a chance to meet again with my fifth grade teacher, Joe Hauseman, of whom I’ve written before.  He told me that his son has decided to follow in his footsteps and become a teacher, and he shared a letter I had written to him when I “found” him again, and told him of the profound impact he had on the rest of my life.  He shared my thoughts, along with many other letters he has received over the years, with his son to impress upon him that teachers make a difference.  Joe definitely made a difference in mine, and I will be eternally grateful for it.
I hope in some small way, I will have a similar long-term effect on the participants of my job seeker’s group, as well as other friends and colleagues along the way.  This isn’t to stroke my own ego so much as “Making a Difference” has become my greatest aspiration, and to have even half the impact on others that Joe had on me will mean I succeeded.  Even more, I will have succeeded in a life that has felt so much like a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment