Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Three Hundred Three


Day 303 - Giving Back
A lot of what I’ve been doing lately in terms of networking is driven by the intention to “give back” to the community.  In this case, it is to the community of job seekers I’m trying to offer something.  I want to add value to every conversation I have, and to help others understand the numerous tips I’ve picked up along my journey.  It is a way for me to “pay it forward” and hopefully give something worthwhile.
After moderating the Breakfast Club group this morning, I was afforded the opportunity to speak at the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce Job Seekers Support Group again this afternoon.  This was my second presentation to the group, and I was honored to have been asked back.  The topic was surrounding “first impressions” and how to make a positive one by understanding the importance of appearance, body language and speech as we approach a prospective employer or networking contact.  Again, none of the ideas are new, but I hope I presented the tips in a way that will resonate with the attendees and help them feel more confident.
After we wrapped up, I received some kind words and a potential opportunity to work with a coaching client (though I won’t be able to follow through on that right away, as I prepare for a trip to Southern California for an interview).  My take-away on this, though, was in serving others, we usually gain as much or more than we’ve given.  By asking me back, the Hillsboro Chamber gave me a chance to receive, and for that I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment