Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Ninety-two

Day 292 - Keeping an Open Mind
I had a happy hour meeting with a colleague today for whom, when we first met three years ago, I didn’t start with a very positive impression.  Others within the group in which we both took part were not terribly complimentary; in fact, they blamed him for some problems we were facing as a group, and I never made the effort to find out for myself what was going on.  I didn’t dislike him, but I didn’t make an effort to bridge the distance, either.
Fast forward to the budding of our friendship; I spoke with him at a couple of mixers last year, and then later, as he was interviewing for a job, he asked me for some help in preparing.  That was when I realized I had misjudged him and had neglected the “due diligence” that ought to come after hearing gossip.
This evening’s conversation was particularly pleasant, and I find myself relating with him on several levels.  I am glad that I kept an open mind enough to get past the old gossip.  My first impressions of him were misguided, and I’m a little better for knowing that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment