Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Ninety-one

Day 291 - Coaches
The last time I wrote about Dick Warn was Day 34, shortly after I met him.  He is a no-nonsense tell-it-like-it-is type, and I thought perhaps I could use a little bit of that caring, honest feedback.  He didn’t disappoint.  
What makes Dick a particularly good coach is that it is obvious that he cares about his pupil; if he didn’t care, he wouldn’t be there wasting his time.  I have spoken with others who push away those whom they attempt to help either because they don’t know their audience (their needs, attitudes, sensibilities, etc.), or because they simply feed their own egos by giving advice to others.  I’m grateful to have met with Dick, who can give it to me straight without making it feel like a fist to the solar plexus.  He pointed out the faulty thinking without making me feel stupid.
I came away feeling a little more empowered, a little wiser.  I appreciate the honesty of a good coach who helps his learners toward understanding the “why” and not just the “what.”

No comments:

Post a Comment