Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Three Hundred Eleven


Day 311 - Driving Fast... or Not
Stage Two: Emeryville to Long Beach
I didn’t realize just how much I had adapted to Portland living.  On my drive from the Bay Area southbound, I was surprised at how uncomfortable I was driving as fast as those around me.  Oregon drivers take a much slower pace, and with my New Year’s resolution of “No More Tickets,” I was happy that others might flush out the CHP to help me keep it.  I reminded myself that “I’m going to get there regardless,” and had a relaxed drive to Long Beach.
Again, I noticed all the road improvements; on my last trip northbound, I wondered if my car could handle all the cracked pavement and potholes.  Now most of the freeway is smooth and clear.  I’m delighted that the infrastructure funding from the federal government has made its way to Interstate 5 (at least that’s what the signs indicated).  
I made great time, too - traffic cooperated the whole way.  Even in the construction zones, we never slowed to below decent freeway speeds, and though I was exhausted when I arrived at Erik’s, I wasn’t frazzled.  It was a great drive.
We went to one of my favorite restaurants, Lola’s on 4th Street, and Erik treated.  How lucky can a guy be?  Luis, the owner, actually remembered me, though it has been a little more than a year since I was there.  I love this place.  
In all, it was a very good trip back to SoCal.  I’m taking it as a good sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment