Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Three Hundred Twelve


Day 312 - The Generosity of Friends
I got a haircut by one of my favorite stylists today in preparation for tomorrow’s interview.  I’ve known her for a decade, and her husband has been unemployed for about the same period I have.  We have shared so many stories and heartaches, and although our friendship hasn’t extended past the salon, I feel as if I’ve been able to maintain a great relationship with her even during times when I went to someone else to have my hair done.
It was good to catch up with her.  Unfortunately, her husband is still looking for work (evidently his niche is quite focused), and she’s keeping the family afloat.  There is a lot going on in her world, and yet she was willing to squeeze me into her already-full schedule to help me be ready for my interview.
She spent 45 minutes with me, and then, as we went to the front counter, told the young woman manning the register that there was no charge for this cut since she “only cleaned up over the ears.”  I was dumbfounded, humbled, and grateful all at once.  I left a cash tip for her (later thinking it wasn’t nearly enough, so I’ll give her a bigger tip when I go back), and came away feeling so good about life.  
I am so incredibly lucky to have such generous friends.  Several have made a point to invite me over for Game Night, or out to lunch or dinner; some have even paid for my meal.  I’m touched by their generosity and sincere interest in catching up, as if my news were of utmost importance.  I am so happy to be here, and looking forward to tomorrow’s interview.  I’m ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment