Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Ninety-eight


Day 298 - Release
I gave away my piano today.
In my ongoing effort to downsize and simplify, I realized that, as much as I want music in my life, I’m somewhat burdened by owning something as large as this piano is.  I haven’t been using it the way I had anticipated, either, and I felt perhaps someone else may enjoy it even more than I.  It was time to let it go.
When I received it nearly three years ago, I did some research on it.  I discovered that it was made in 1917, and is Jesse French & Sons’ top-of-the-line instrument meant to compete with the finest pianos made by Steinway and other American makers.  It was marketed as a piano for the serious musician’s home, and included features only found on concert grands.  This piano is likely rare.
Mom offered to do a needlepoint cover for the bench I purchased, reminiscent of the one she did for the piano we had growing up.  Since it was made during the Art Nouveau period, I found a design by a Scottish designer of the period, and transfered it to the needlepoint canvas.  Mom spent a minimum of one hour every day for six months to complete the cover, and it looks exquisite on the bench.  I was delighted.
Needless to say, the bench did not go with the piano today.  I will keep the bench, as I feel 300 pounds lighter without the piano.  I am no longer bound to find a home on the ground floor, or in a building with a large enough service elevator to accommodate it.  I can find another piano someday that will suit my needs.
It is continually interesting to me how easy it can be to let go - to release my previous ideas and priorities - to be open to what is coming next.  I’m happy to say I’m in a place where I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment