Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Three Hundred Ten


Day 310 - Smooth Roads and Good Weather
Stage One: The Drive from Portland to Emeryville
It was a great day to drive.  The weather was perfect - sunny and not so warm as to need the air conditioner, but enough that I didn’t have to wear the sweatshirt I kept out at the ready.  I had snacks, plenty of water, and the car felt great, though a little heavy.  It was clear sailing the whole way.
When I got to the inspection station just inside the California border, the agent looked at my car and said, “I normally ask people if they’re carrying fruits or vegetables, but it doesn’t look like you have any room!”  I laughed; they’re normally pretty sullen (I imagine it must be a fairly boring job), but this guy was the exception.  I confirmed I wasn’t carrying anything disallowed, and sped on my way.
The only rain I experienced happened as I approached Mt. Shasta, and that didn’t last long - it was only enough to make me turn the wipers on for a few minutes, and then it was past.  I was struck by how much road work had been done in the year or two since I had driven this way.  CalTrans has done a great job.
My arrival into Emeryville was uneventful.  I didn’t get to see Stephanie in Walnut Creek as we had planned - he husband was ill and they were going to visit with the doctor instead.  So after letting me into the gated parking lot where my car would be safe, I walked to a great little diner with James for a delicious meal.  Aaron got home a little later, and we caught up.  As always, the accommodations were most comfortable.
It was a good travel day.

No comments:

Post a Comment