Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred

Day 100 - Anticipating a Break
I had originally planned a review of my First 100 Days, rather like what the president might report, but I’ll save that for later.  Instead, I’m going to recess....
It’s interesting how my brain works (or perhaps more to the point, doesn’t work) as I anticipate a break from the routine.  In this case, it’s the day before I leave for the Bay Area to enjoy some time off from my full time job of looking for a full time job.
I had a couple of really good meetings with networking coffee meetings, and then a nice dinner out with a new friend.  It was a pleasant day.  The weather was great, and I even played chess with Dash in the plaza next to the Fox Tower, with an enormous chess set of 2‘ plastic chess pieces and the board is so large you walk your pieces around.  It was a lot of fun.  
All day long, a part of my mind was already on my way south.  
I am reminded of when I was leaving past jobs - the “Short Timer’s Disease” that comes with “checking out” of the conscious effort associated with the work.  This time, I was talking about my next steps - projects for the near future like revising my resume (again) - and what I found most interesting was the level of enthusiasm for doing them actually increased, knowing I was not going to work on them for a couple weeks.  That was not the reaction I was expecting.
My gratitude for Day 100 is in knowing I will have some time to rest my mind and spirit from the pressures of today; knowing that I will be able to spend time with dear friends, new and old, and to have a vacation - something that seems as foreign as a paycheck.  I am grateful for the opportunity to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment