Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Eighty-three

Day 283 - Giving It Away
I met a fellow networker today over coffee who, as it turns out, is looking to start an organization (presumably to make money, though its vision seems to be somewhat altruistic), and he asked me a lot of questions that I think will help him set things up from a strategic HR perspective.  My impression was that it very quickly turned into a meeting that I should have been paid for - I was giving him professional counseling, which as a consultant should be quite lucrative.
Instead, I gave it away.  I figure why not?  If I can make a name for myself by giving sound advice to a start-up, who knows what may come down the pike.  I figure I’ll do it because it makes me feel good, not because I’m making a fast buck.  
I’m going to call this an investment in my future.  I’m doing the right thing for the right reason; maybe someday the universe will send it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment