Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Eighty-four

Day 284 - Assignments
My friend (and fellow job-seeker) Manuel met recently with a mutual acquaintance who challenged him to research one new company every day.  He took on the challenge with enthusiasm for what he’ll get out of it.  He felt it was doable.  It got me to thinking about what I could do as an assignment.
A few days later, I met with my friend and colleague Dick Warn who, after complimenting me as "talented" and then qualifying it by saying I seem "lost," challenged me to do some work for (and on) myself; he gave me an assignment of reading the book “Leadership and Self-Deception” and writing out two lists - my top three goals in life and the five biggest things holding me back.  I admit I don’t want to do either list; I don’t want to be that vulnerable.  But I know it will help me, so I’ll do them.
I guess I’m grateful for both the assignment - because I know it will help me grow - and for Dick.  I really respect Dick and value his perspective, and I’m very happy to have his advice and his trust.  I’m trying to convince myself (so far) that I’m grateful for the assignment.  We’ll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment