Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Twenty-eight

Day 228 - Intertia
I chose the word “inertia” because I felt as if the force behind today’s activities was outside my effort; I tried to stay out of the way, and let things take me forward rather than pushing them.  
When I looked the word up in the dictionary (to confirm that I am using it correctly), it seemed that the customary meaning was more commonly the negative: “An object at rest stays at rest...” and the synonyms included “sloth,” “laziness,” and the like.  
However, Newton’s first law of motion states, “An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.”  The events of today seemed to carry me on, and I tried not to be the “unbalanced force.”
It was a long and relatively busy day: lunch with a friend, some contract work for a client, and most importantly, a phone interview for a job I think I could really enjoy.  I try not to get my hopes up anymore (and so far, so good).  Still....
It felt good to allow the inertia - the force of today’s motion - that brought me quietly to the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment