Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Twenty-seven

Day 227 - Encouragement
While it could have been worse, today was not a good day.  
I didn’t have much on the docket; fortunately, what I did have to do earned me a little money.  A former client hired me to mediate a situation in their office, and they’ll pay full rate for the short amount of time I’ll need to investigate and offer a solution.  The amount I will earn should cover the cost of the new brakes I need on my car.
I wasn’t able to do the work at the glass studio I wanted to do due to my own absent-mindedness when I left home, leaving critical equipment at home.  
I then was given some bad news (that I don’t feel comfortable sharing at this time) that may affect my near future in critical terms.  It has caused me a great deal of anxiety.  I saw it coming, eventually; I just thought I’d have a little more time.  It has definitely placed the guillotine squarely over my head, and the clock is ticking.
Through it all, the two good friends who have been encouraging me to keep going were there for me last night.  They couldn’t offer solutions, but that wasn’t what I was looking to them to do.  Instead, they validated what I was feeling and helped me stay calm.  Their consistent empathy and understanding is an enormous help.
On a positive swing of the pendulum, I received a phone call from a friend about a job that just opened in the past few days, and he put me in touch with the hiring manager.  I don’t know much about it yet, but I’ve sent my resume in the hopes of landing an interview.  We’ll see.  
In the meantime, I have a lunch tomorrow with a networking acquaintance about a referral for a well-paying job (that may be a little outside my normal scope), and then a phone interview for a job in Seattle later in the afternoon.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment