Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred Ninety-seven

Day 197 - Boxing Day
I am grateful for Boxing Day.  ...OK, I barely understand the holiday; it isn’t celebrated in the US, and I know only what I have read recently.  Evidently, no one really knows the exact etymology of the term “boxing” day (according to Wikipedia), but it dates back to the Middle Ages and is related to the Feast of St Stephen.
The reason I’m glad for it is that it gives my friends who celebrate it a reason to be off work and have fun.  That means I get to have a little fun, too, whether celebrating with them at a local pub or via Skype.  
I got to visit with my local family, too, which was nice.  The cheeses and smoked salmon were delicious and the conversation pleasant.  “The Second Day of Christmas” was indeed enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment