Friday, November 25, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred Sixty-four

Day 164 - Tea Lights
I had three meetings today.  The first was by phone with my daughter’s school Family Liaison to discuss Catherine’s upcoming graduation from high school.  Then the Portland Leadership Forum Planning Committee gathered at a diner to discuss our upcoming meeting and next year’s plans.  The third was a networking coffee meeting with a colleague I met at the HR Lunch Bunch a few weeks ago.  In all, not much is really cooking, but the pot is on the stove.
Shortly after I got home, I received an unexpected phone call from a hotel in Seattle; my friend Alix had told me of an opening for a Director of Catering, and the call was in reference to my application.  (While I am not terribly interested in the job, I need full time work and didn’t want to pass up an opportunity that was offered without looking into it.)  To make a long story short, it turns out the Director of Sales, to whom this position reports, is a guy I used to work with several years ago when we both worked for Coast Hotels.  I was surprised and pleased to get reconnected with him, and we agreed that I would drive up to Seattle next week to interview.  He will put me up in his hotel the night before, and we’ll talk (presumably) in the morning.
I was so surprised by the smallness of our world.  I have my hesitations about getting back into hospitality, but this could also get me a few steps closer to my goals.  I can’t be sure where this path will lead, but I’ll never know if I don’t take it.
At the end of the day (literally), it comes down to something putting a little heat under me to move.  No one lit a fire - it is rather like a tea light - a small flame to keep the cup warm.  It’s what I needed to feel like my life is moving forward, and not stagnating where it is.  I’m happy for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment