Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred Forty-nine

Day 149 - Second Chances
I had a very important experience today.  It wasn’t the first time, but it was the first time in awhile.  
I had the opportunity to offer a mock interview to a colleague, and I felt as if I were the better for it.  When we first met well over two years ago in a business networking group, I had heard some less than flattering things about him from others in our organization.  He was responsible for some things that hadn’t gone well, and unfortunately was not held in high esteem by some of the other members.
He hired me a few weeks ago to do some interviewing coaching, and today was the mock interview.  He turned out to be very articulate, smart, engaging... and if I were to have had a position open, I would have hired him on the spot.  
So why is this an important experience for which I would be grateful?  It offered me a second chance to create my own opinion of him apart from earlier connections; I feel better about our friendship, and that is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment