Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred Sixty

Day 160 - Learning Opportunities
I went to lunch with a new friend today; I describe him as such because he is more than an acquaintance and colleague.  He is becoming a trusted advisor of sorts after a period of several months.  I consider him a friend.
I asked him to get together because I missed his presentation on Strategism; I was in Seattle and Victoria the weekend he presented, and I wanted to know more about it.  He gave me a brief description over lunch, but I must be ADD, because I was easily taken off topic.  We talked about all sorts of things - reading auras, politics and social movements, and more.  Joel is such an interesting person, and I learn something every time we speak.  I really respect him a lot.
Then I went to the glass school to work on more drops for a chandelier.  It was disastrous - the worst work I’ve done so far.  I sat at the torch for two hours and only made four drops; none of them turned out.  In fact, I was so frustrated, I didn’t try to fix them.  Many of the more recent attempts have not been what I wanted.  I really felt like giving up altogether.
As I was leaving, I mentioned my failure to Judy, the wonderful assistant, who asked me about how I was working the glass.  By asking me a few questions, and giving some general advice, I figured I knew what I was doing wrong.  I wish I had asked her two weeks ago why the glass was moving the way it was.  Or wasn’t.  
While I knew the four pieces I left for annealing would never hang on a chandelier, I was glad to have had Judy’s advice.  I look forward to coming back and trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment