Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Sixty-two


Day 62 - The Week’s End
This was a challenging week for me.  I’m glad it’s over.
Not that I get a break from my job (of looking for work) - that will continue daily.  But it’s the end of a standard period of time - Monday though Friday - and now I get to start a new one next Monday.  The new week may be amazing.  It doesn’t have to be like the one that just ended.
We get to choose our attitude.  Sure.  Sometimes it chooses us, and you know what?  That’s OK, sometimes.
I read a poem on a coffee shop chalkboard a couple weeks ago by Rumi, a 13th century Persian poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic.  The poem was entitled, “Guest House.”
Guest House
This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows, 
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture, 
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing, 
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
I am not yet very adept at meeting them at the door laughing, but I’m trying.  I’m grateful that this week is over, and I can start anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment