Monday, August 8, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Fifty-five


Day 55 - Esteem
I believe in Abraham Maslow’s “Hierarchy of Needs.”  I’ve seen it work.  If you don’t know who Abraham Maslow was, or what this hierarchy is, do a quick Google search.  (He introduced it in 1943, and still it’s “news”....)
I was treated today to a moment of “esteem” - the fourth of five levels - as I was asked to facilitate a support group for job seekers.  The group founder, Cleon Cox, was going to be late due to another engagement, and he asked me to lead the group this week.  This was an “esteem” moment because when he asked me to cover for him, Cleon indicated I had the competence to do it, and that he trusted me.  It made me feel very good.
OK, so it’s not leading an international think tank, or a presidential panel.  This was leading a fairly unstructured conversation among a group of people in the Portland area looking for full time employment.  But still, Cleon’s trust means something to me.  It’s not what people do that makes us remember them, it’s how they make us feel.  
I’ll never forget a teacher I had many years ago saying to our class that while we may be loved unconditionally, to be trusted is the greater compliment.
Thank you, Cleon, for trusting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment