Friday, August 5, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Fifty-two

Day 52 - Perspectives
I had the chance to meet with two new acquaintances from my networking opportunities.  The first, Steve, met me for lunch at the Panera Cares Cafe in the Hollywood District of NE Portland (I talk about why I like this place in the Day 25 blog entry).  Steve has the most amazing energy, and it was difficult at times for me to keep up.  He’s a driven, “Type A” personality with a passion for what he does (education and assessment).  He’s the type of person you meet and immediately want to help because you cannot help but like him.  His smile matches his intellect - absolutely brilliant.
Later in the day, I met with Linda, whom I have admired since the day we met.  We had a beer at a pub in North Portland, surrounded by the most diverse group of people I’ve seen in awhile.  She has a youthful air about her that is refreshing and warm, like a breeze on a summer afternoon, able to cool a forehead or start a wildfire, depending only on the condition of what it fans.  She is unique.  She is reserved without seeming shy; she listens and considers everything.  She is quick to smile and to make you feel comfortable.  I’ll bet she is wonderful to work for.  I have no doubt that she will be amazingly successful.
Then Hal and I joined a small group of people who went to see “The Double Hour,” an Italian film (subtitled, of course) that had more surprising twists and turns than any film I have seen in years; it was suspenseful without being gut-wrenching, and left you thinking, too.  It has been too long since I’ve seen a foreign film in the theater, and look forward to making a point of going to more of them.
At the end of the day, I had experienced a number of different perspectives - on employment, on integrity, and on understanding - that enriched my own.  It was a long, busy, and ultimately wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment