Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Three Hundred Fifty-one



Day 351 – Staying Connected

I think everyone can relate on some level to the difficulty in keeping relationships going over great distances, and how that is made more immediate by modern technology.  Although I’ve only been away for a little more than six weeks, I have been missing my friends in Portland a lot, and grateful for text messages, Facebook (yes, I admit it), and email that keeps me connected to people who have become very important to me. 

My re-entry into Long Beach life has been a little more isolating than I expected.  A couple of my friends with whom I expected to get right back into a rhythm have yet to respond to my requests to schedule something, and I am a little lonely.  I’m sure it will all work out. 

I recently received a text message from my friend Blaine just to tell me he loved me.  It is difficult to explain the profound effect that such a simple thing can have unless you’ve lived it, and it made me feel really good.  Whether it’s my mom with a recipe, my daughter with a call to say “hello,” or a text from a dear friend, I feel lucky to have these people in my life.

I am grateful to be able to stay connected to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment