Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Three Hundred Fifty-nine



Day 359 – Light at the End of the Tunnel

After today, I have one week left in this year-long blog.  It’s hard to believe I started this so long ago – it doesn’t feel like a year has passed – and it has been instructive to read some of my earlier posts again.  A lot has changed in fifty-one weeks.

I have often thought about the cliché, "a light at the end of the tunnel.”  Sometimes I repeat the joke that it’s the headlight of an oncoming train.  Sometimes that hasn’t been a joke.  I had a brief period of bright light in the tunnel when I got my job – which has been a relief and a blessing – only to have other big issues pop up and challenge me.  Now that I have to deal with the vagaries of “real life” again, I find the light at the end of this tunnel is somewhat subdued.  The light is there, and I’m grateful for it, but it isn’t the bright light of a honeymoon resort on a warm, deserted beach.  It’s more like a foggy morning – I can’t be certain what lies ahead of me, just beyond the curve and out of the range of visibility.  Early light is brightening the vapor that enshrouds the tunnel’s exit; I can see the road, though, as it passes out of the tunnel and into the open air that is thick with uncertainty and expectation.

I move toward the light – hopeful, wary, curious – and find something to be grateful for.  I know I will emerge safely, and I’ll proceed cautiously.  I am lucky to be here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment