Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Three Hundred Fifty-three



Day 353 – Geniuses

I had an appointment at the Genius Bar today after work to resolve an issue I’m having with my MacBook Pro.  It has not been performing very well lately, despite my moving a lot of photos and such to flash drives and cleaning up the hard drive.  I brought my computer with me to work, and then went directly to the Apple Store in Cerritos for my appointment.

I discovered two things at this visit: 1.) Genius Bar appointments last 15 minutes regardless of the problem; and 2.) if your problem takes longer than 15 minutes, they will go ahead and help you AND the next customer at the same time, making both customers wait for follow up.

I’m not sure there is a better way to accomplish this; Apple Stores have the best trained staff I’ve ever witnessed, and I imagine I’m not the first Apple customer to have problems with his computer.  To be honest, I’ve had as many problems (maybe more?) with this computer than I ever did with my PC, but that’s another blog entry.  The end result was that I was at the Apple store for two-and-a-half hours.  I ended up buying an external hard drive.  And I came away with two profiles on my computer instead of just one, and have a ton of follow up work to do to clean up the duplicate files that were created in tonight’s efforts.

While this doesn’t sound like a positive experience (which, in truth, it wasn’t), I am grateful that the young woman (I swear, she was barely beyond what would be required to avoid child labor issues) was the Genius that she is.  She clearly knew what she was doing even though my specific computer wasn’t cooperating with her.  She was amazing. 

So thank you, Apple, for training your Geniuses so well.  Your products may not be “all that,” but your people are.


No comments:

Post a Comment