Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Three Hundred Fifty-seven



Day 357 – Day’s End

Some days are best when they’re over.  Today was one of those days.

The movers arrived.  For the second time.

As I said before, on Day 342, I have moved 29 times in the last 32 years, and this was by far the worst experience I’ve ever had.  The movers [whose name I can no longer publish, but who are based in SE Portland] had the opportunity to practice "service recovery" after their negligence shown in the first act of this move.

I was beyond disappointed.

I had the same driver as the first time, only this time he had a co-worker to help him.  Their reaction when they opened the back door was immediate: they recognized how badly my belongings had been loaded onto the truck.  Many of my things were visibly damaged.  Again.  The plaster replica of Michelangelo's David was destroyed.  I stood there in disbelief.

I contacted the (useless) manager by phone, and couldn’t help but raise my voice.  When you, and your life's belongings, are treated so shabbily, you naturally get “passionate” about it, right?  Well, I was so passionate I’m sure I was three shades of red.

The moving company owner - a man I'm guessing in his 20's with no professional experience before this - heard from me again.  I'm sure he's ruing the day he took on this job.  I hope so, anyway, because I sure am.

The house is a disaster again.  I am exhausted.  

I am glad that today is over, and I can start a new one tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment