Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Three Hundred Fifty-six



Day 356 – Volunteering

I had the opportunity to volunteer at this year’s AIDS Walk Long Beach.  I worked in the “Incentives” booth – when the walkers fundraising reached certain levels, they received some prizes (Logo T-shirts, caps, etc.).  I didn’t work the booth alone, and I met a number of great people in the process.

It started very early in the morning, and the weather was cool and a bit moist, but not unpleasant.  The work itself was pretty easy, and the festive mood indomitable.  I wasn’t prepared to walk, so this was my way to participate in moving the organization forward.  I hope we raised a fair amount (knowing our fundraising is way down, thanks to the economy).

The whole thing ended a little earlier than I had expected, so I went home and took a little nap, feeling as if the world is a slightly better place for our collective effort.  This is an organization I’d like to work with more.  Garry is a great Executive Director and leader.  I could learn a thing or two from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment