Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Twenty-eight

Day 28 - Leadership and Frendship
I had an early day today, which was made challenging in the beginning by getting home very late last night.  I think I got 4 1/2 hours of sleep.
I had the honor of presenting at the Portland Leadership Forum; I was asked to sit on the board which plans monthly symposia on leadership topics by bringing in guest speakers, and the idea was offered to me to co-facilitate an open forum with Dick Warn, an accomplished speaker and sales trainer.  And we had a blast.  It was scheduled for a three hour period, and while it wasn't a large audience, everyone participated.  I was initially afraid we weren't going to fill the time up, but it went over by 30 minutes.

Afterward,Cleon Cox, the energy behind this an many other organizations (a major Toastmaster), came up to me afterward and stressed that I ought to be starting my own business.  I like that idea.  I told him I had actually come to that conclusion myself.  (He understands I need to pay the bills, too, but he really thinks I can make it here.  I’m certainly willing to try it.)
I feel like I’m coming into my own.  I have long since identified this is what I want to when I grow up.  And I’m grateful for people like Cleon who help inspire me to do something about it.  This is leadership.  I’m in the right place at the right time.  This feels good.
I also want to do a “shout out” to Chuck, and thank him for the great barbecue he and the West Side Biz Builders held at his house.  I’m so happy to know these genuinely good people.  They keep me smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment