Friday, July 15, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Thirty-four

Day 34 - Affirmations
In his “Miracle Minute” weekly message, my new friend Dick Warn offered an affirmation in his piece about “Autosuggestion.”  He quotes Émile Coué de Châtaigneraie, who centered his “Coué Method” around a mantra-like conscious autosuggestion, "Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better" (French: Tous les jours à tous points de vue je vais de mieux en mieux).  [Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émile_Coué]
I’ve been trying this over the past week or so.  I don’t know yet if it’s making a difference, but I certainly can’t say it isn’t.
I’ve also noticed other kinds of affirmations in my life recently - the little things that tell me I’m moving in the right direction.  For example, I met someone through professional networking who I thought was particularly compelling, wondering if perhaps we might be playing on the same team.  Then I ran into him at a gay event in North Portland, confirming what I had sort of hoped.  We’ve spoken a few times since then, and he has said things that tell me we’re on the same page.  We also have a date this weekend.
There have been other affirmations, like when someone suggested I should go into business for myself because of a presentation I gave recently, or when someone suggested I should be a life coach, not knowing I’ve been doing career coaching.
Esther Hicks in “The Law of Attraction” and Rhonda Byrne in “The Secret” talk about focusing on the positive to attract the positive; to meditate and keep our thoughts on the things that make us feel good, so that other things that feel good will be drawn to us.  Others have published works (some which have influenced one or both of these women) about the affirmations that are used for a positive mental attitude to achieve success.  It makes a difference how we speak to ourselves.
I’m grateful today for affirmations, both consciously stated and coincidentally observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment