Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Thirty-eight

Day 38 - Connections
I met someone recently who is embarking on a journey I started nearly 18 years ago - ending a marriage and living a genuine, honest life.  It’s a tough road that is incomprehensible to anyone not in our situation.  And while he is really struggling with all the emotions, distractions, and disappointments, along with the logistics, I know things will get better for him.
So what does this have to do with “Connections”?  Well... first off, we met on a gay networking site called “Connexions.”  Secondly, I feel as if we’ve made a connection - it’s not a dating or romantic connection, but something even deeper.  I understand so much of what he’s going through, and I know there is light for him further down this dark path.  I can connect with him in his pain - I have felt it - and while our stories aren’t exactly alike, the similarities are numerous and strong.  
I am glad to have had this beautiful human being come into my life to remind me of all the “stuff” I’ve been through, of the progress I’ve made with the help of countless others, and of the light I currently enjoy which contrasts starkly with the darkness from which I have emerged, as from a deep cavern on a bright August afternoon.  
I am also grateful for the chance to “pay it forward” - all the support and encouragement I’ve received over the past 18 years is now being channeled toward this bright, sensitive, caring man who needs someone to carry the torch for him for awhile.  My arms are strong - I’ve been working out for awhile now.


No comments:

Post a Comment