Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred Eighty-nine

Day 189 - Sunday with Mom
We began our day with breakfast at Tom’s Pancake House in Beaverton - a fixture since  before we moved to Cedar Hills in 1967.  I am certain the last time we ate there together was over 35 years ago.  The food was good, as was the service, and we didn’t have to wait long for a table.  
After breakfast, we went to the mall to do the last of my Christmas shopping.  I found what I needed fairly quickly, and felt relieved that I had finished rather painlessly.  I have also been looking for an affordable cotton (machine washable) sweater for myself (I need more warm clothes if I am going to spend winters in the Pacific Northwest), and found a few at H&M on a prior visit, so Mom bought me an early present.  The bag went under the tree as soon as we got home.
I find it interesting to notice how we slow down at work during the holidays, but life gets more hectic on the home front - rushing to find the right token of our esteem and then to send them to those who live far away in time for the holiday.  Even when we can slow down and relax a bit, we still keep up the pace, pushing on, staying busy, though with a broader smile and a lighter heart.
I had a good day with Mom.  Would that these could last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment