Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day One Hundred Eighty-eight

Day 188 -  Twisties
I played with glass again at the torch today.  I practiced making “twisties” - laying lines of two colors onto a clear rod and twisting the hot glass in front of the flame to make a spiral effect.  I’m not very good at it yet in terms of controlling the twist and keeping the spiral regular, but I like what I made - blue and white “icicles” - and I’ll make more.  
I hadn’t thought to make these until recently, when I was struggling with another project and inadvertently twisted the glass.  Sure, I’ve seen others making twisties, and I have thought about learning how; but this specific effort was born out of error.  So many of my glass projects have started out like this.
I suppose we learn from our mistakes; and when it comes to art, my mistakes are sometimes better than the deliberate effort.  I am learning to accept each piece as it comes, without judgment or expectation of perfection.  The unplanned aspects give it a uniqueness - it is different from every other - and offers its individual beauty.  
Rather like people.


No comments:

Post a Comment