Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Thirty-nine

Day 239 - Time Alone
Today was not a good day.  And everything that was going to happen did so before 11:30 AM.  Not a good day at all.
My interview at the Seattle hotel did not happen the way it was supposed to; I was casually blown off, and I felt disrespected.  The GM wouldn't be there at all, and the VP of Operations wanted me to drive the 45 minutes to meet him at his office in Bellevue instead.  In the end, it became very clear they had me drive up from Portland (at my expense) for a courtesy interview.  They had no intention of taking me seriously.  
Then, as I got on the road back to Portland, I had a phone conversation with a recruiter that did not go well.  It appears the recruiter is not very good at what she does, and I'm the one who paid the price.
Then I got a text message from my son.  
It is his 24th birthday, and I tried calling him before I left for Bellevue to wish him well.  He didn’t answer, so I left a message. When he didn't call me back, I sent a text message to follow up.  It was his response to my text that I received as I was southbound on Interstate 5 approaching downtown Tacoma.  
He thanked me for the birthday wishes.  I asked him if he had received my voicemail message.  “I saw it, but I haven’t listened to it.”  I haven't heard back from him since.
I give up.
So what am I grateful for today?  When I got home in the late afternoon, I went to “my room” (which is Mom’s office), and shut the door.  I couldn’t bear to deal with anyone - I was as much as I could handle.  
I am grateful for my time alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment