Friday, February 10, 2012

A Year of Gratitude - Day Two Hundred Forty-one

Day 241 - Coffee Shops
In reading a brief history of (primarily) US coffee shops, I’m interested to see how they have adapted over time.  I won’t bore you with what I’ve read about them, but Starbucks is generally credited with accelerating their resurgent popularity by offering more than just coffee and some snacks; they made it an experience that resonated with a modern audience.  You can love them or hate them - it’s easy to find lots of people on both sides - but they do more than provide a strong cup o’ Joe.  They offer a place to connect.
I had a couple of good one-on-one networking meetings today, the second one at a Starbucks in SE Portland.  While the location wasn’t important, the meeting was.  I had a nice conversation with a colleague I met recently who offered some names of people I could contact with a view toward perhaps finding work.  Although the tunnel in which this new light came on is long and arduous, at least the light was lit.  One can only hope it’s the right kind of light.
Since I don’t have an office to use as home base, coffee shops have become my office.  I wish I didn’t have to spend so much money on gasoline, but at least I can meet people somewhere other than a park bench or mall food court.  Yes, Starbucks (and most other coffee shops) are always loud and most of the seats are hardwood and uncomfortable after about 20 minutes, but it’s a pleasant and familiar environment.  It is great neutral territory for the transient business person.  
To all the owners of coffee shops - chains and independents - thank you for offering me some office space.

No comments:

Post a Comment