Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Sixteen

Day 16 - Electricity
Lame, I know.  

I didn’t have time last night to post something for which I was grateful - I was too focused on studying for my SPHR certification.  [SPRH = Senior Professional in Human Resources - a professional certification offered by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and administered by the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI).]  I began my final Post Test at sometime around 8:00 PM not knowing that it entails 200 questions, similar to the real exam, and I was up until almost midnight, because the participant is required to do it in one sitting as in the real exam.
I’m really glad I took the practice test - not because it was indicative of what I would experience today, but because, in fact, because it wasn’t.  It was harder.  The questions on the “practice” test seemed confusing and tricky (compared to today’s questions which were clearly written by people who do actual HR work, not academics, and in a language that was totally understandable even if I didn’t know all the answers).  It was disheartening to receive a 67% score last night (or thereabout - it didn’t actually give the numerical figure, just a graphic representation) and not know what a passing score is on the real exam.  (The passing rate is 50% - only half of test takers actually pass the SPHR exam!)  
I eventually went to bed realizing if it weren’t for electricity, and our easy access to it in our country, I wouldn’t have been able to prepare as well for this exam.  Remember, too, that I took an online course to study for it (something I doubt I'll do again).  Candles and lanterns don’t power computers, so I’m grateful for electricity and all the technology it powers to help me in my certification efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment