Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Five

Today I’m grateful for the Jake Plantons of the world.

Jake Planton of Rose City Mortgage and his colleagues organize a regular networking mixer called “Next Level” here in Portland.  It’s definitely a business mixer - not a bar scene that calls itself a business event while bearing a greater resemblance to a Saturday night at the Rainbow Room.  No, Next Level is fun, relaxed, lively and still professional, and I give Jake a lot of the credit.
Every time I go, I meet someone new that makes me glad I went.  It doesn’t always result in a paying client, but it does seem to make a positive difference in my networking.  Few mixers are that good.
Tonight’s event was at Pearl Woodworks, a fabulous high-end design studio (cabinetry, countertops, etc.) in the Pearl District, which is a unique environment for this group.  It worked so well!  Lots of people, fun atmosphere, simple-yet-good-quality finger food and delicious wine (and other beverages, though I just had wine)... it was a fun event.
I’m delighted that these sorts of gatherings happen so regularly here.  I feel better for having gone, which makes me grateful to Jake and his group.  I look forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment