Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Seventeen

Day 17 - “Mystical” support
I’m not sure what else to call it.  
Dictionary.com defines “mysticism” thus:
–noun
1.  the beliefs, ideas, or mode of thought of mystics.
2.  a doctrine of an immediate spiritual intuition of truths believed to transcend ordinary understanding, or of a direct, intimate union of the soul with god through contemplation or ecstasy.
3.  obscure thought or speculation.
Everyone who really knows me understands that I am not a religious person.  I have done my time in various religions in positions ranging from novice to clergy, and do not align or associate with any of them.  I resist even the label of “spiritual” since that has numerous connotations and stereotypes of its own.  No, I eschew labels altogether of any effort that, in fact, involves mysticism as a way to explain anything.
I don’t discount it, though.
Today, I am grateful to a number people for “being there” for me.  Christina and Amber - for your nearly-instantaneous responses to a text message as I was about to enter the testing center, offering support and prayer on my behalf; to Stephanie - for listening to my emotional rants leading up to today and offering unconditional validation (you have no idea how much you help me); to all of my friends on Facebook who spoke up with encouraging words and more confidence in me than I have in myself; and, of course, to my mother who has been immensely generous and gracious in her patience, effort, and understanding while I’ve been a holy terror to deal with during the five months of preparation for this day.
As I said on Facebook, I can only imagine what my brother Keith is going through as he prepares to take the Nevada bar exam next month.  The SPHR exam is a drivers test by comparison, but it has exhausted me.  I’m thrilled - giddy - that it’s done.
And the best part?  I now can actually give myself credit for being an HR professional.
I’m going to read a novel, next.

No comments:

Post a Comment