Friday, September 9, 2011

A Year of Gratitude - Day Ninety

Day 90 - The First Quarter
It is difficult to believe that the first 90 days of this year-long gratitude blog has passed.  I am astounded at how fast time is going, and reminded of the saying that “Life is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.”  I hope I am not nearing the end, quite, but I can tell you a year passes much faster now than it did 20 years ago.
I am not going to think about what I was going through 20 years ago....
I began this blog because I was depressed about where I am in my life and I wanted to change my attitude.  I can say unequivocally that I am much happier now - the first quarter of this Year of Gratitude is over, and so far, I am doing better.  I cannot yet make the direct connection between the blog and my improved attitude; it could be that the recent connections I have made through networking have lifted my spirits enough to think I am not destined to live under a bridge after all.  It may be that the improved weather has had its normal effect on me (sunshine on my shoulder - and on the rest of me - really does make me happy).  It could be a number of things.
However, I have made only one significant change in my life in the last 90 days, and that was to start this blog.
I want to thank everyone who reads my entries and who has made comments - or just clicked “Like” on Facebook.  By letting me know you are reading it, I am motivated to keep it up.  (If it were a private journal, I would have dropped it long ago.)  My finances are no better than they were three months ago (and I want to thank my friends who have taken me out for drinks or meals or movies - unless you’ve been unemployed for a long time, you have no idea how much this helps me).  My job prospects aren’t truly any better, though I do have an interview for a great position coming up next week; I have had many interviews over the past 2.5 years, so this isn’t truly an improvement.  However, my outlook on life has improved, which seems to bring more opportunity.  (I have three consulting gigs in the works, too, along with two or three volunteer opportunities.)
I have never been busier in my life, and I don’t think I have ever learned more about myself than I am learning right now.
So while I hate to admit to anyone they “told [me] so,” I may have to grant this one.  Let’s see how I feel in another three months....  

No comments:

Post a Comment